On 07-Feb-99 John B. Reynolds wrote:
>  The problem is that I am not convinced that all of the incumbent ccTLDs (or
>  even a majority thereof) or the incumbent gTLD share your commitment to
>  competition, and the Paris draft puts them in a position to block it.

Granted, you've never been on any of the ccTLD mailing lists, such as the wwTLD
list hosted by ripe and the aptld list.  I was in the past when I was working
with .TJ.  I believe it is fair to say that as a group they are as much for
introducing competition as the rest of us.

But I don't see the introduction of new gTLDs as something that would come
under this clause at all.

And remember, it isn't a Veto power, and it doesn't give them the ability to
block it, just to make sure that substantive changes affecting operations are
not adopt hastily or capriciously. It provides a fair review process, nothing
more.

What I would like to see from you (and I am sure the drafters would, as they
have made clear they are STILL open to changes) is some modified language for
this clause that would be more acceptable to you.  Remember, we all have to
compromise to reach an overall agreement.  I don't agree with every provision
in the Paris draft either, but I recognize that I won't be happy with
everything and that my opinion is not the only one.

What would you suggest?  I'd like to hear it, and perhaps the participants here
can contribute and we can come up with something that is workable.

E-Mail: William X. Walsh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 07-Feb-99
Time: 16:11:29
"We may well be on our way to a society overrun by hordes
of lawyers, hungry as locusts."
- Chief Justice Warren Burger, US Supreme Court, 1977