Michael,

John is right.

In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Michael Sondow writes:
> John B. Reynolds a =E9crit:
>
> > You administer your zone indirectly by controlling which ISP runs it
> > directly.
>

> Administer the zone indirectly? What are you talking about? Is this
> a game of semantics to you? It's a file. How do I change it's
> contents when it's on a server in the house or office of someone
> else, and I don't have write access? Would you like to tell everyone
> who may be witnessing this inane discussion just what in the name of
> mother McCreedy you're talking about?

It's nothing to get excited about.

Let's take .NA as an example:

the zone file sits on grumpy.net.na as per an agreement with a local
ISP. Whether they give me physical write access is not the issue,
rather that I decide what gets written into it.

In practice it configured to use linux.lisse.na as hidden primary, or
if my leased line is bothering me (or rather the municipality tries to
light christmas trees frying half the town) I copy the file with
scp. It does reload regularily.

Write permission means the person who decides on the changes being
made (Admin Contact or Technical Contact), not the person that
actually makes the changes (staff member).

Or take iciiu.org for example. ICIIU has probably a contract with
perfekt.net. If you tell them you want another secondary (after making
arrangements) they would enter the change and reload).

> > You have the power to move your zone file to another provider
>
> Move the zone file? What, copy and paste it from one server to
> another? Is that how zone files are transferred? Horse-puckey! And
> even if it were, what average domain name holder even knows how to
> access zone files, or has access to a unix machine to do it with?

Don't get excited. It's not the issue who knows what. It's the issue
who has the right to make the decison. *IN PRACTICE* most often this
is delegated to the Technical Contact.

Moving the zone file means downloading a copy thereof, uploading it to
the new server, making appropriate changes, reloading the server,
informing NSI of the change, waiting for the delegation to change to
the new server and then removing the old one altogether.

> > to your own server (assuming sufficient Internet connectivity)
>

> How many domain name holders have unix boxes with BIND running on
> them, or know how to configure BIND? Even the ISPs can't do it
> correctly.

It's not the issue if someone indeed (*IN PRACTICE*) knows what he
should know.

Configuring bind is trivial. It's small things like incrementing
serial numbers that are overlooked, which is why I do this with a perl
script connected to my mySQL database.

> > or to a service
> > that would permit you to administer it directly.
>

> No such service exists. But I see your game. You're not interested
> in useful discussion, but in seeing if you can manipulate people. I
> won't waste any more time with you.

Such services do exist.

It is rather trivial to give you secure access to your own zone file,
secure clients for Windoze and Macs exist.

It's really not necessary to get excited about technical issues...

It's much more interesting to talk about whether the commercial
Technical Contact of a smal ccTLD is the decision maker or the travel
agent in country that he hires as the Amdinistrative Contact, pro
forma.

el