In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Michael Sondow writes:

> The average client of an ISP, that is, the average domain name
> holder, cannot tell the ISP what to put into their zone file. I've
> had trouble with every single one of the five ISPs I've used because
> of this, and I've heard the same stories from everyone I know. The
> same exact story from every single domain name holder I know: that
> the ISP will NOT do what the client asks, when it's a matter of
> changing the zone file.

Michael,

one reason is that many ISP's, especially the new ones, are run by
people who rate 4 to 5 on the Kent-Meter.

It's the same here, by the way, one of the biggest dialup ISP's in
South Africa sells "The Internet" in what is called a Big Black Box,
which you can order form the Pizza delivery service. They are unable
to fill in an application template to have their domain registered
under .com.NA. (I am waiting for the other one to apply for "DNS in a
Can" so you can guess what their marketing line is :-)-O)

If I needed a zone file hosted elsewhere, I'd ask the ISP concerend
beforehand how this is going to work and write a memorandum of
understanding.

ANd I only work with ISP's that rate a 1 or less on the Kent-Meter.

> Your situation or that of Roeland Meyer or John Reynolds has nothing
> to do with this. You are not average domain name holders. Far from
> it. This discussion is about average domain name holders. So your
> personal experience as the NIC for .NA doesn't apply here.

Actually it does.  It's called capacity building. And, I have some
genuine experience in it.

It is a real problem, I do concede, but it's not an intrinsic DNS
problem, rather a customer service problem.

el