Greg and all,

Greg Skinner wrote:

> Dr Eberhard W Lisse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >> I happen to agree with the opinions expressed by Keith Moore, as they
> >> match with my experience.
>
> > So I happen to disagree, from my experience.
> > And?
>
> In the absence of hard data, people will argue their opinion based on
> their experience.  No one knows for sure what will happen when the
> safe TLD limit is exceeded.  Anyway, even if TLDs are added a thousand
> at a time, I've not seen any evidence that they will suffice to
> qualify all the trademarks or service marks that are necessary to
> avoid DN lawsuits.

  What?  What does a TLD in and of itself have to do with a Trademark
per se?  TLD's are not trademarkable to my knowledge.

> >> But even you would have to admit that by adding lots of TLDs, extra
> >> orders of magnitude are induced in the DNS process, because queries
> >> are going further up the tree than they would otherwise be.
>
> > So What? More horsepower. BIND can take it. And if it's really a
> > problem add on a SQL engine. Which one should perhaps do anyway.
>
> > More Horsepwower...
>
> Once upon a time, there were some people who thought that if you added
> more bandwidth to the Arpanet, the congestion problems that were
> occuring at the time would go away.  However, it took some studies by
> a control theorist to show that changes needed to be made to the TCP
> protocol to relieve congestion.
>
> You can't just throw more hardware or software at a problem and expect
> it to go away (unless you *know* that this will solve your problem).
> System-wide analysis is required.

  Agreed.  but to compare this problem with TCP and Arpanet, is
like comparing and elephant with a cow.  Yeah, they are both big animals,
but that is about it.

> Also, it seems to me there's been a fair amount of objection to stiff
> requirements for operating a TLD registry.  Adding more TLDs would
> certainly raise the bar, in terms of processing and bandwidth
> requirements.

  FIrst, bandwidth is becoming less and less of a concern and second
processing speed in increasing nearly doubling every 11 months
or so.

> In such an environment, the well-heeled companies will
> be much more able to operate TLD registries than the struggling
> entrepreneurs.  We might very well wind up with only a few large
> companies as registries, because the others just won't be able to
> survive financially.

  Good point here, and a dam shame too really.  But you are likely to
to end up being correct on this one if ICANN get's it's way with the
current "Accreditation Guidelines" in terms of licensing costs.