In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Greg Skinner writes:
> Kent Crispin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Greg, thank you for cutting the pontification part out.

> > On Fri, Feb 19, 1999 at 02:44:19PM -0800, Greg Skinner wrote:
>
> >> 100,000 seems to be a popular figure [for a safe limit on the # of
> >> TLDs]
>
> > Not in my experience.  People who really know about this stuff say
> > few thousand, usually, to maybe a few tens of thousands.
>
> OK, fair enough.  Since the ballpark figure is on the order of tens of
> thousands, I was suggesting that above 100,000, you really do have to
> start worrying about performance problems.

Interesting that the Krauts manage to do 70000+ second levels on 3
name servers in Germany and 5 outside.  And they will pass the 100K
mark without any problem. What's the real difference between their
setup and a proliferated root?

It is purely a matter of horsepower.  Which may answer partially the
question why registrations in Germany cost money.

el