At 10:43 AM 1/10/99 +1200, Joop Teernstra wrote:
>Dear all (both DNSO.net and DNSO.org) ,
>
>I propose to insert the following language in preamble of the SO
>application document, (whether incorporated bylaws or dnso charters)
>

>1. Decisionmaking by the General Membership of  the DNSO  is achieved by
>on-line debate and vote

The mechanics still have to be worked out, but this is the current status
quo, insofar as ORSC is concerned. Although the vote part is still informal.

>2. The Domain Name Supporting Organization (DNSO) shall be composed of any
>individual, firm, association, corporation or other entity who is the
>holder of a second level domain (SLD) in any top level domain (TLD)or of a
>third level domain under any second level controlled by a TLD  (Hereinafter
>“Domain Name Holder").

Herein lies a problem. In ccTLDs a domain holder is at the third level, in
most cases. In gTLDs, such as COM/NET/ORG, a domain holder is at the second
level and third level sub-domain doesn't generally count, except within an
organization. So straight away, we have to make distinct definitions
between TLD classes.

>3. The Names Council shall ensure that it will guard the rights of the
>Domain Name holders and registrants by advising ICANN on such policies that
>will mandate that any delegated Registrar or
>Registering entity  adopts procedures guaranteeing fair hearings and due
>process in its Articles, Bylaws or contract documents with second or third
>level registrants.
>
>The text may need to be refined or adapted, but this is the sort of
>language that will attract the masses of Domain Name owners to membership
>of your DNSO as an organisation where their voice can and  will be heard.

Definitely needs refinement. Let's do it.
Roeland M.J. Meyer -
e-mail:                                      mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Internet phone:                                hawk.lvrmr.mhsc.com
Personal web pages:             http://staff.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site:                           http://www.mhsc.com
I hold it, that a little rebellion, now and then, is a good thing...
                -- Thomas Jefferson