Roeland Meyer writes:
+ .... and is precisely what was wrong with it. It left NO room for
+ privately controlled TLDs. In fact this presumes to have ownership
+ control in gTLD-MoU hands. A chartered TLD that limits membership can
+ not operate under such a mode. Registrars *must* be qualified to
+ register within such a TLD and denial of registrar capability/
+ privileges are a requirement for the enforcement of this. Otherwise,
+ gTLDs are useless. This removes a primary control mechanism from a
+ trademarked gTLD and may, in fact, be an illegal restriction.

 Whether controlled by the dreaded but mercifully
 defunct gTLD-MoU or private, corporate hands the
 interests of citizens are *not* served but rather
 corroded and undermined. Linking computer numbers
 with character sets should be under the control of
 INDIVIDUAL CITIZENS. Niether technocrats nor any
 form of commercial cartel should control our ability
 as people to define our own internet "presences".

 I do think any conventional authority is qualified
 to tell other people what is or is not right/wrong,
 appropriate/inappropriate, good/bad in terms of
 mere names. Not to mention number allocation. If
 I want to allocate an IP to every appliance I own
 and call them all varieties of epithets that is
 precisely my business. And precisely no-one elses.

 Bob Allisat

 Free Community Network ... [EMAIL PROTECTED] __ http://fcn.net