Jay Fenello wrote:

> >From where I sit, your refusal to hold elections
> has nothing to do with funding, and everything
> to do with priorities!

There is no refusal to hold elections, Jay.  Mr. Sims was responding to Eric
Weisberg's suggestion that ICANN hire outside professionals to run the
election.  Mr. Sims points out that there are no ICANN funds to pay a
professional organization to do this.  As your own figures indicate, ICANN is in
serious debt.

I share your preference for spending limited funds on the election process. I
don't think it will be nearly as simple as Mr. Rutkowski suggests.  Closer
analysis by the MAC raised many difficult issues.  Perhaps an online election
may be beyond the budget.  If anyone knows a crack programmer who will code for
water and gruel, please volunteer now!

It may be that membership dues will have to be charged after all (whether the
election is electronic or postal) and, if so, I expect that some accomodation
will be made for those economies that cannot easily afford such a luxury, but it
is very unfortunate to have to take a step that is such a hardship for one
particular part of the electorate.

Diane Cabell
Fausett, Gaeta & Lund
Boston, MA