At 10:28 PM 7/28/99 , Ellen Rony wrote:
>FWIW, I don't concur with Jay's theories about a biased press.   We have
>not bias but confusion. This evolution of the DNS is complicated,
>convoluted, and contentious, so it isn't easy to report on the activities
>of ICANN and the Department of Commerce in terms that the general
>readership can understand.

Hi Ellen,

FWIW, my theories about a biased press are just that
-- theories.

Frankly, I don't why this story has not been covered.
All that I know for certain is that 1) it *hasn't* been
covered, and 2) "confusion" is an explanation that simply
doesn't work for me (especially when I have personally
described, in no uncertain terms, my perspectives to
many of the reporters writing these biased pieces).

So what are my perspectives, the ones that the press is
refusing to cover?

First, that this debate is over control of the Internet
-- who will be in control, and what rules and procedures
will be used to make decisions.

Second, that ICANN has been captured.  It has not followed
its own by-laws, and it has used every trick in the book to
pursue its agenda.  In other words, its decision making is
not based on bottom-up consensus building, but rather is a
continuation of the agenda inherent in the gTLD-MoU.

Am I alone in these sentiments?  Obviously not.  I belong
to a relatively large group of participants who are making
these claims, claims that were made part of the Congressional
record by Mikki Barry's testimony last week.  Even Congressman
Pickering has echoed these concerns.

So where is this covered in the press?

If you do a quick Yahoo search for *all* stories about ICANN
since July 16th (the day I revealed that several news outlets
admitted that they were coordinating information and positions),
you get the list below.

Notice, not a single story written from the perspective above.

The closest we come is the article titled "ICANN Finds Friends
at Congressional Hearing - ECommerce Times".  And while this
article covers just about every perspective presented at last
Thursday's hearing, it completely ignores Mikki's testimony.

It's as if Mikki never even existed!!!

In closing, I repeat -- I don't know why this story is *NOT*
getting out.  But it's *NOT*, and two and a half years is long
enough to wait.

Respectfully,

Jay Fenello
President, Iperdome, Inc.    404-943-0524
What's your .per(sm)?   http://www.iperdome.com

Yahoo search for News containing "ICANN":
- Hearing Turns Into Debate on Obscene Internet Names - NY Times (registration req'd)
(07/29/99)
- Recriminations Fly in Second ICANN Hearings - AFP (07/28/99)
- US Tells Network Solutions To Open Database - Reuters (07/27/99)
- Commerce to NSI: Give It Up - Wired News (07/26/99) - NSI Preps Dot Com Directory -
TechWeb (07/26/99)
- A Planned Internet Yellow Pages Draws Federal Scrutiny - NY Times (registration
req'd) (07/26/99)
- Registrar NSI expands with search site - Yahoo! News/ZDNet (07/26/99)
- Net Governance Will Take Time To Get Right - TechWeb (07/23/99)
- ICANN Finds Friends at Congressional Hearing - ECommerce Times (07/23/99)
- Commerce Dept. Threatens NSI - Inter@ctive Week (07/23/99)
- Network Solutions Finds Itself on the Defensive at Hearing - Washington Post
(07/23/99)
- Internet Address Company Grilled in Congress - NY Times (registration req'd)
(07/23/99)
- Jousting Over Internet Addresses - AP (07/23/99)
- Commerce department takes aim at NSI - Yahoo! News/ZDNet (07/23/99)
- Lawmakers Seek To Speed Internet Name Competition - Reuters (07/23/99)
- Network Solutions' 2nd-Quarter Profit Soars - Washington Post (07/23/99)
- Domain name registrar slammed - MSNBC (07/22/99)
- House subcommittee gives NSI a grilling - News.com (07/22/99)
- Domain Players Face the Music - Wired News (07/22/99)
- No Dinero, No Domain - Wired News (07/22/99)
- Masters of Internet Domains Go to War - Washington Post (07/22/99)
- .Web (TM)? - Wired News (07/21/99)
- Buying Countries Online - Wired News (07/21/99)
- ICANN Drops Registrar Fee - InternetNews (07/20/99)
- ICANN opening meetings, deferring fees - Yahoo! News/ZDNet (07/19/99)
- U.S. Internet Naming Group Drops Proposed $1 Fee - Reuters (07/19/99)
- U.S Again Extends Internet Name Registration Test - Reuters (07/19/99)
- Domain Deadline Extended for Second Time - InternetNews (07/19/99)
- Advancing a backup plan for placement of Internet address dots - Chicago Tribune
(07/18/99)