Hi Roberto,

The European Commission looks, of course, at the global European figures.
Obviously, if the European ccNICs had the dominant position you show as
hypothesis, the things would be different. After all, DG IV should be silly
to bother for 0.01%, don't you agree?

Not necessarily - if the intent is protectionism.  If you
look at the original CEC Green Paper on Numbering back in 1996
(when the COM, ORG, and NET market share mas clearly minuscule)
the EU was clearly targeting NSI as a strategic industrial
policy move.

In dealing with market share, you also need to differentiate
between just registrations, and domains in use.  The registrations
not in use are simply speculative investments having nothing
directly to do with the Internet per se.  It's the domains in
use that typically are comparatively quite small - and remain
quite small.  If you want independent verification try using
John Quarterman's MIDS services.

National PTT monopoly?
Lotta things happened since you left Geneva. Maybe you still have friends at
the ITU that can keep you up to date ;>)

What's the current market share of France Telecom in the local
access market?  Interexchange market? :-)

Anyway, since you raise the point of competition with NSI at a Registrar
level, don't you think that the protectionist attitude that NSI has taken in
the last few months has played definitively a role in DG IV's decision? Some

Like I noted above, the CEC's Green Paper targeted NSI for
industrial policy reasons in 1996.  It would be great to see
them focus a little closer to home and open up all those
domestic markets.  That would bring a lot more real benefits
to local users.  I suspect also that the hassle, bureaucracy,
delays and costs domestically are what are primarily driving
customers some customers to COM, ORG, and NET registrars.

I understand your bitterness, if I would have been hit in my direct
interests I would feel the same.

Bitterness?  I was over there for 5 years and functioned in
that environment.  I was indeed bitter about all the regulations,
bad service, high costs, protectionist tariffs, propping up of
PTOs and institutions.  I watched CERN lease circuits from Geneva
to New York to Lisbon because it was cheaper than going direct.
I was the guy who was almost thrown out of ETSI because I mentioned
the Internet.   I get back every few months.  Things are changing,
but it's still slow.

--tony