maybe, maybe not.  I don't know if Brown would prevail on those theories -
just that those would be plausible thoeries for his lawyer to consider.  As
previously stated, my speculation was based on one news article that
doesn't give all the facts necessary to properly evaluate Mayor Brown's
theoretical claims.  there isn't a lot of caselaw yet on the applicability
of rights of publicity/privacy to domain names and whether Mayor Brown's
name would function as a common law trademark is also not hornbook law (btw
the WIPO Report specifically choose not to include rights of publicity in
its discussion of abusive registration).  and then there's the whole
warehousing vs. actual use question which can't be addressed based on the
article.

I only attempted to rebut a single assertion - the assertion that it was
"impossible" to cybersquat a common name.  If we utilize a temporary
definition of cybersquat here - "the commission of a tort aimed at an
identifiable entity through the registration of a domain name" - then I
believe that it is possible to "cybersquat" a common name such as willie
brown.

It's been too long a day for me here on the East Coast to get into arguing
the merits of the anti-cybersquatting act just now.