At 02:20 PM 4/6/2000, you wrote:
>For the record, the commercialization of radio happened
>in the 1920's, and was the only way that the technology
>could be deployed on a mass scale. As for the Forties'

Commercialization of radio began on a large scale at the
turn of the century - initially by the Marconi Corporation,
then by a plethora of other vendors as radio technology
became developed and used for countless purposes.
WW-I engendered a watershed of new development.

What occurred in the 20s was the emergence of radio
for mass media broadcasting purposes on a large scale
and pushing of the technology boundaries above 500 kHz.
The mass market it created greatly facilitated further
technology developments, the reduction in costs, and
assimilation of the medium into the general population.
There are some strong parallels with contemporary
Internet developments - although the notion of everyone
to everyone is obviously important and compelling
difference.

best,
tony