> For the record, the commercialization of radio happened
> in the 1920's, and was the only way that the technology
> could be deployed on a mass scale.

We (UK, in particular us the BBC) did quite well without commercial.
Just because one country can't do it any other way doesn't have to
impact all the others

> As for the Forties'
> commercialization of television, this was the dream by
> both inventor Farnsworth and his fierce rivals at NBC,
> for sans a profit motive, no one would have bothered.

We did public service TV too way before it grew to
a commercially interesting size.

I'm not going to discuss who invented TV :)

> The issue is not whether people can make money
> from the Internet, but whether commercialization is
> going to be done in a socially responsible manner.

And if one coutries take on how it should be done should
impact the rest.

> We need governance by laws, not committees,
> and I renew the call for an Internet Consitution,

Sounds noble. The one thing people seem to agree on is
they don't want it done someone elses way.

brandon