On 2012-03-22 08:32, Adam Thompson wrote:
Ok, but are there drawbacks compared to an alias VIP?

None that I've run into personally.  The one I can think of is that you
can't (or rather, shouldn't) run CARP on the same network (or VLAN, or...)
as any Cisco HSRP devices because they use the same Ethertype value but
aren't compatible.  Or maybe that was VRRP, can't remember.  Not likely to
be an issue for very many people, in any case.

Wouldn't it be simpler to use IP aliases for IP addresses that are not meant to ever be used for HA?

Thanks,

Ugo