Am 7. April 2012 02:14 schrieb Ugo Bellavance <u...@lubik.ca>:

> On 2012-04-05 16:04, Michael Schuh wrote:
>

>> Am 5. April 2012 15:07 schrieb Ugo Bellavance
>> <u...@lubik.ca
>> <mailto:u...@lubik.ca>>:
>>

>>    On 2012-04-04 17:22, Michael Schuh wrote:
>>

>>            Ok, but are there drawbacks compared to an alias VIP?
>>

>>        In virtual environments you have to take care that the virtual
>>        switches
>>        allow/permit this type of traffic. (p.e. on ESX )
>>        the same rule is valid for physical environments, but the most
>>        do it out
>>        of the box.
>>

>>    You mean for CARP?  For now I won't be using HA.  I'll start with a
>>    single firewall and if the needs ask for it eventually, I'll setup
>>    CARP-HA.
>>

>> Yes. If you like to use CARP, the involved switches have to permit those
>> traffic.
>> Some doesn't in their default configuration. For ESX it means to permit
>> promiscous mode on the switch,
>> that can lead to a security concern so its a good idea to take care on
>> it before you step into such security concerns.
>>
>> http://doc.pfsense.org/index.**php/Configuring_pfSense_**
>> Hardware_Redundancy_(CARP)#**ESX_VDS_Config<http://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Configuring_pfSense_Hardware_Redundancy_(CARP)#ESX_VDS_Config>
>>

> Ok, so I must keep in mind that if I ever use CARP for HA on VMWare, I
> must allo promiscuous mode in the switch, but my question was more "Why
> should I use CARP now"... I guess the answer is that if I use plain
> aliases, I'll have to reconfigure all my VIPs if I ever need to do HA.
> Right?

ok.
based on those limited informatsions i have and my personal impression:
if you don't know it, do not use it. :8~)

and yes if you use CARP your IP-Setup may be slightly different.

some gerneral rules:

KISS - Keep it super simple (simple as possible)

first make it work, than make it beautiful.

HTH

--
= = =  http://michael-schuh.net/  = = =
Projektmanagement - IT-Consulting - Professional Services IT

= = =  Ust-ID:  DE251072318  = = =