On 2012-04-09 14:08, Michael Schuh wrote:
    Ok, so I must keep in mind that if I ever use CARP for HA on VMWare,
    I must allo promiscuous mode in the switch, but my question was more
    "Why should I use CARP now"... I guess the answer is that if I use
    plain aliases, I'll have to reconfigure all my VIPs if I ever need
    to do HA. Right?

ok.
based on those limited informatsions i have and my personal impression:
if you don't know it, do not use it. :8~)

and yes if you use CARP your IP-Setup may be slightly different.

some gerneral rules:

KISS - Keep it super simple (simple as possible)

first make it work, than make it beautiful.

HTH

I understand what you mean. At the time I was using m0n0wall, I used proxy arp. But this time I think I'll use aliases but still reserve 2 other IP addresses in every subnet in case I ever start using CARP HA.

Thanks,

Ugo