On Jun 7, 2013, at 7:06 PM, Chris Bagnall <pfse...@lists.minotaur.cc> wrote:

> Thanks for the response.
>
> On 8/6/13 12:54 am, Jim Thompson wrote:
>> "Difficulty"?   Is this some kind of Brit understatement?   "Impossible" is
>> a more accurate description of the situation.  :-)
>
> I've seen other AMD Geode boards with 4 NICs, but not with >256MB RAM, and
> we've been seeing issues with <=256MB and 2.1.
>
>> Load the CD-based installer on an SSD.
>> If you use a USB DOM, you'll want to use the 'embedded' image.
>
> But the full install for an SSD? Or is it better to stick with embedded on
> those too?

full install, yes.
embedded is all about reducing writes to the CF.

>>> One other thing I thought I might try is using an USB flash device. I
>>> notice from the snapshots there's an image available for these devices, but
>>> I can't seem to find much by the way of documentation online about the
>>> benefits/pitfalls of this approach.
>> That image is an 'installer' image.
>
> Is it possible to 'install' pfSense to a bootable USB flash device at all?
> Strikes me as a wonderfully elegant solution for updates: just ship a new
> stick to the remote site and tell someone to plug it in and reboot :-)

until it falls out.

>> The Realtek NICs might not work in 2.0 series releases.    2.1RC is likely a
>> better option.
>
> Running 2.1 anyway - v6 support very much required :-)
>
> FWIW, I've tested one of these boards this evening just using a spare 2.5"
> SATA spinning disk I had knocking around here, and both the Realtek and Intel
> NICs seem to be working in 2.1. I've not put any load through them yet, so I
> can't attest to performance.
>
> Given most of these systems are going to be handling very low throughput
> (<100Mbps WAN links), is it safer to just disable all the offloading options
> to be on the safe side?

That's what the rest of the list will advise.  They'll all claim that these
hardware features "don't work".  Nevermind that they work on other platforms.
This gets spun into fokelore on the list.

The OpenBSD guys were just discussing how they *made* them work at BSDcan
though.
http://www.bsdcan.org/2013/schedule/events/372.en.html

So there is hope that FreeBSD will study same and implement fixes.

Jim