There is an issue with doing NanoBSD (the embedded image) upgrades from
2.0.X to 2.1 that can cause /var to fill up. The fallout effect of this
causes the interfaces to not come up. If you search the mailing list
archives you will see that it has hit other people and that workarounds are
required to upgrade and save the RRD data.

Walter

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 4:21 PM, Jens Kühnel <pfse...@jens.kuehnel.org>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My questions:
>
> Has anyone successfully updated a PFSense on an Alix board with 10 or
> more interfaces (2 phy, 8 VLANs, 1 WAN).
> Or is running a PFSense 2.1 setup like this successfully?
>
> Reason:
>
> I just upgrade my home firewall from PFSense 2.0.3 to 2.1 (Nano 2G
> Serial) running on a Alix board. Or tried to do it.
>
> The reboot after the update failed. I connected to the serial and
> initiated another reboot only to see that during boot a message says
> something like "/var is full". Another reboot later the rrd is
> automatically cleaned up and the message disappeared, but the content of
> the RRD files is gone as well. Because it is late (1 AM) I booted the
> other slide (with 2.0.3) and restored the config backup from before the
> update. Everything works fine now again.
>
> My next try:
> I will create a virtual machine, restore my 2.0.3 config, update this
> virtual machine from 2.0.3 to 2.1 and restore it into the updated 2.1
> version running on my Alix board. I hope the extended disc space is only
> needed during upgrade. Or does anybody has a better idea?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> CU
> Jens

The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of
zeal, well-meaning but without understanding.   -- Justice Louis D. Brandeis