On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 8:33 AM, Jim Thompson <j...@smallworks.com> wrote:
>> On the other hand, I tend to distrust manufacturers that shipped
>> completely unreliable drives without any thought.
>> Kingston/OCZ/Crucial are all in this boat for me.
>
> I’m sure I’ve been burned at least as badly by these, and others, and I
> still buy from them.

What can you do? The speed increase from SSDs in a PC means its almost
impossible to go back to an HDD.
And in a firewall/appliance, the benefits from no moving parts/lower
power/heat/noise is hard to ignore.

>> As for Nano, I thought it mounted almost everything as RO and only
>> changed settings to write down settings changes, and RRD databases etc
>> on reboots?
>
> I think I’ve already responded to this.
>
> nano is a > 10 year old “solution” to the problems that existed at the time.
> http://markmail.org/message/rxe4xfpmdwva7q3e
>
> That doesn’t mean it’s a bad solution, but though it’s author is a brilliant
> individual, he obviously didn’t envision SSD in 2004.

Are you saying the "nano" release only covers the boot-slices?
I thought the nano/embedded versions also write less to the disk.
I don't have a full install handy to check, but the nano install
definitely mounts the drive RO, and all runtime stuff (/var, /tmp) is
run out of RAM disks.

Regards,
-Jeppe