----- Original Message -----
From: Felix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, June 02, 2000 11:50 PM
Subject: [REBOL] What about a REBOL newsgroup

> Hi!
>
> I'd appreciate the idea of a newsgroup instead of a mailing list.
> This has several advantages:
>
> * clearer threading
> * easier to search for previous articles
> * no hundreds of mails in the mailbox
> * determining whether or not to read postings at a glance

I actually find email is much easier to search and archive than news groups,
and there is no spam on the mailinglist! You just need an email client with
good filters and search facilities.

But if you want to avoid email clutter then you can use, this link to read
the threads from this list.

http://www.rebol.org/userlist/html/index.html

I know it will happen one day, that a newsgroup starts up as volume gets
large and a lot of people are posting, but currently we have a nice
community here in the mailing list. I would imagine that a lot of key people
would stay here and not even look at the newsgroups, as newgroups tend to
have poor signal to noise ratio. The commitment of joining a mailing list
seems to sort out a lot of chaff.

> What about comp.lang.rebol? Later there could be even
> comp.lang.rebol.misc
> comp.lang.rebol.core
> comp.lang.rebol.view
> comp.lang.rebol.command
>
> etc.

There are currently mail lists for these too. I'm not against newsgroups, I
just don't feel there is enough volume to justify one yet, versus the
benefits we have here.

just my 2c (and we don't even have them in our money anymore!)

Allen K