Allen wrote:

> > I'd appreciate the idea of a newsgroup instead of a mailing list.
> > This has several advantages:
> >
> > * clearer threading
> > * easier to search for previous articles
> > * no hundreds of mails in the mailbox
> > * determining whether or not to read postings at a glance

* easier for people to perticipate without the need to
subscribe/unsubscribe
* no tons of mails after holiday e.g. (think of dial-up connections)
but rather view headers of recent discussions quickly.

> I actually find email is much easier to search and archive than news groups,

I disagree. Email ahs been developed for personal communciation
whereas Newsgroup was designed to provide a fast, clear and easy way
for discussion.

> and there is no spam on the mailinglist!

There list will sure land on spammer's adress books one day. If you
plan to filter list contents you can write a cancelbot for the
newsgroup as well. In my experience, spam is a problem for email
rather than for well-visited newsgroups.

> You just need an email client with good filters and search facilities.

I have one (P.S.: You call Outlook good? SCNR), but still the amount
of mails in my mailbox rises drastically. Mail is filtered at home.
At work it's quite annoying to search personal mail between REBOL
mail.

> But if you want to avoid email clutter then you can use, this link to read
> the threads from this list.
>
> http://www.rebol.org/userlist/html/index.html

An online solution is not acceptible neither as I wish to do offline
reading.

> I know it will happen one day, that a newsgroup starts up as volume gets
> large and a lot of people are posting,

I'm looking forward to this day ;-)

> I would imagine that a lot of key people
> would stay here and not even look at the newsgroups

Why should they do so? Ah, here it comes:

> as newgroups tend to have poor signal to noise ratio.

I disagree, too. Sure, it depends on the group, and on the quality of
those who answer, too. I think this shouldn't make a problem.

> There are currently mail lists for these too. I'm not against newsgroups, I
> just don't feel there is enough volume to justify one yet, versus the
> benefits we have here.

IMHO 10-20 messages per day are well enough for a newsgroup.

Felix Pütsch

--
http://puetsch.tsx.org
HE FELT CPU SIX