Oh yes. You can choose to have the icons bigger or smaller, and the
animation on or off. And the animation relates to the size of the icons -
smaller icons = smaller animation.

You can also have them not visible at all until you put your cursor right at
the bottom of the screen (or wherever the dock is located on your desktop)

:)