Andrew Cunningham wrote:
Christian Montoya wrote:
Ben Buchanan wrote:
> Personally I think glyphs/entities in HTML should have been tags with
> alt or title attributes.

I assume when Ben wrote "glyph" he meant "character". A glyph is a visual representation of character that can vary between languages, geographic regions and typographic traditions, etc.

And browsers, the character comes out very differently between IE 6 and Firefox 1.5

If you used the Unicode character <U+2116>, this is a character (part of the data or text) and not an abbreviation.

BUT, at the same time, it is.

. - _ ^ & are not abbreviations, I accept that.

But No. is an abbreviation for number. It's just that there is a special character/glyph for that particular abbreviation. So do you mark it up as an abbreviation or not, or is the abbreviation implied in the use of that character?

Kat