Katrina wrote:
Andrew Cunningham wrote:
Christian Montoya wrote:
Ben Buchanan wrote:
> Personally I think glyphs/entities in HTML should have been tags with
> alt or title attributes.

I assume when Ben wrote "glyph" he meant "character". A glyph is a visual representation of character that can vary between languages, geographic regions and typographic traditions, etc.

And browsers, the character comes out very differently between IE 6 and Firefox 1.5

That is usually a font issue.

But No. is an abbreviation for number. It's just that there is a special character/glyph for that particular abbreviation. So do you mark it up as an abbreviation or not, or is the abbreviation implied in the use of that character?

not necessarily. when spoken or read aloud the symbol would not be pronounced.

other symbols I wouldn't classify as abbreviations would include mathematical operators, currency symbols, and numbers followed by an ordinal indicator.

They aren't abbreviations they are symbols representing a word or concept.

Kat

Andrew Cunningham
Research and Development Coordinator
Vicnet, Public Libraries and Communications
State Library of Victoria
328 Swanston Street
Melbourne  VIC  3000
Australia

andrewc+AEA-vicnet.net.au

Ph. 3-8664-7430
Fax: 3-9639-2175

http://www.openroad.net.au/
http://www.libraries.vic.gov.au/
http://www.vicnet.net.au/

begin:vcard
fn:Andrew Cunningham
n:Cunningham;Andrew
org:State Library of Victoria;Vicnet
adr:;;328 Swanston Street;Melbourne;VIC;3000;Australia
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Research and Development Coordinator
tel;work:+61-3-8664-7430
tel;fax:+61-3-9639-2175
tel;cell:0421-450-816
note;quoted-printable:Current projects:=0D=0A=
	=0D=0A=
	Open Road=E2=80=94http://www.openroad.net.au/=0D=0A=
	=0D=0A=
	MyLanguage=E2=80=94http://www.mylanguage.gov.au/=0D=0A=