that all sounds good, at least to me. Alternators can't be very inefficient
these days, as the OEMs are working pretty
hard at weight and power drain. They do run at 2x or 3x crankspeed. And they
are rugged and cheap.

what about balancing the charge across the batteries, can you just dump into
them? You can't do that ( for long) with
your regular charger they say. What would that hookup look like?