well according to the massed wisdom of the EVDL, and that includes a lot of
fried battery packs, you have to balance the
charge on the individual batteries. Each battery has differing ( and changing )
resistance and you end up over-charging
one and under-charging another, if you simply dump a current into them as a
pack. Many folks get around this by using
individual chargers ( its been discussed here recently too). The big packs have
fancy BMS to watch both charge and
discharge, like in hybrid cars.

frankly batteries are a PITA. but. ain't got no fuel cell yet.