so Jeff,

using a standard genset in a series hybrid means conversions DC - AC - DC and
you say "significant" losses.
So that leads to some sort of custom voltage regulator off a DC generator which
then dumps straight into the batts?
I wonder what the DC output of a standard genset is? If its in the voltage
range, like 85V, you could bypass the AC circuit.

oh yeah *I* am assuming a pluggable series hybrid, not a straight series
hybrid. Dunno what Andrew has in mind.

and yeah I have been thinking about the ICE efficiency and MC packaging too,
but thats another thread.

John