Large format lithium cells are getting easier to find, and the prices are not
that bad especially for a motorcycle size pack.  One important thing to keep in
mind is that the pack has to be able to source enough current.  If an
individual cell cannot, it will need to be paralleled with other cell(s) in
order to do so.  Small cells cannot source enough current, whether lithium or
NIMH so must be paralleled.

Here are a couple of sources for large format lithium iron phosphate cells.
For about $4000 I could build a pack for my motorcycle that would give me good
performance a solid 40 mile range.  If I wasn't so focused on my truck, I might
be tempted.

http://www.electricwheelsinc.com/batteries.shtml
http://www.cloudelectric.com/lithium_iron_phosphate?b=1

damon