Hi,

First on the AJAX/JavaScript comment: I completely agree. This is something
I mentioned in the "Future of the web" discussion panel at Tech Ed in
Sydney. I think that in the end JavaScript might be a stronger competitor to
Silverlight than Flash. JavaScript is getting significant faster in Chrome,
FireFox and Safari (and Microsoft is playing catch-up in IE8). New
frameworks like jQuery (now embraced by Microsoft) is making it easier to
build rich JavaScript based applications, and the tooling support is also
getting more solid.

By using plain AJAX/JavaScript you don't have to depend on any add-in or
vendor lock-in. In the future <Canvas> and <Video>, when ever implemented in
all browsers, might make AJAX/JavaScript an even more compelling alternative
to Flash and Silverlight.

That being said I am big Silverlight 2 fan, and definitely think the
technology is ready for main-stream development work. I think Silverlight 2
will be an easier alternative for businesses wanting to build Rich Internet
Applications. The reason: tools they know (VS2008), same language on
client/server, and consistent API/documentation/tooling (compared to the web
where you have to know multiple technologies to do it well).

I also think that the requirements and expectations within (internal) line
of business applications will go up as the users get used to great online
user experiences on the "public web". These users will expect something more
inside the company, and I think that in the future having great internal
software might be a differentiator for companies wanting to recruit
information workers.

As to the Flex vs Silverlight 2 decision I don't know enough about Flex to
really comment on it. However, I think that most of us have seen great
examples of Flash-based RIAs, so the technology is more than capable of
delivering great applications. One of my current favorites is
http://www.sliderocket.com/. So if you and your team knows Flex, and the
company sees that as a important technology in the future, by all means use
it! That makes perfect business sense. What I'm saying is that Silverlight 2
feels a need for the .NET/Microsoft development crowd who is comfortable in
VS2008 and C#, and now need to meet higher expectations to deliver great
user experiences online.

- Jonas