My shower sump consists of a well in the floor of the shower (all
fiberglass over styrofoam) with a perforated sheet (the screen) of
stainless covering it.  The pump - one of those square Rule pumps - and
float switch are in the sump.  I like this pump because it is square and so
fits the square well well, and the pump motor/impeller is easily removable
for replacement without disturbing the plumbing.

I clean the sump when the pump stops pumping properly and I have to go into
it for service.

I clean the screen whenever I notice debris (mostly hair) accumulating.

Most of the trouble I have is with the float switch so I am adding a
manual-off-auto switch (it's on the List).  Another problem is that the
sump is so small that the "fall back" of water returning to the sump after
the pump shuts off raises the float to almost the point of turning on the
pump again.  A check valve (prone to fouling with hair) or larger sump (too
much work) or manual switch (on the List) would be the cure for that.

Norm
S/V Bandersnatch
Lying Julington Creek FL

showers frequently and have used the head's sink nearly continuously from
July to present.
> (After September, we took showers in the marina.....do not think we
stopped taking showers.........!!)
> All this water goes to a 687 liter black water tank.
> While searching for a fresh water leak, come upon my shower sump that the
head's sink and shower drain to.
> Was with a friend who noticed that the water inside was bluish.
> Admiral is away so he thought we should pop the cover and look.
> The smell was NOT that BAD but the water was beyond words.
>
> Used a wet dry vac to pull the water out, cleaned the screen that
protected the pump, flushed some clean water thru the sump and used a brush
to break free the big chunks, and closed it all back up...

> So, what does this list say... How often should I do this?
>
> Lee
> Cesme
>

> And, got the following off the 'net and thought I would ask if doing this
procedure below periodically might also be helpful...

> Pour a 1/2 cup of baking soda down the drain followed by 1 cup of vinegar.
> The vinegar will react with the baking soda causing it to fizz and
dissolve the hair.
> Allow the chemicals to combine and react together for 20 minutes. During
this time, boil 6 cups of water.
> Pour the boiling water down the drain to flush out the baking soda and
vinegar, as well as any residual hair.

http://www.mail-archive.com/liveaboard@liveaboardnow.org

http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-member/index.html