On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 13:53:52 +0300, you wrote:

>Hi!
>Two of us live on board and from July- September last year, we took showers
>frequently and have used the head's sink nearly continuously from July to
>present.
>(After September, we took showers in the marina.....do not think we stopped
>taking showers.........!!)
>All this water goes to a 687 liter black water tank.
>While searching for a fresh water leak, come upon my shower sump that the
>head's sink and shower drain to.
>Was with a friend who noticed that the water inside was bluish.
>Admiral is away so he thought we should pop the cover and look.
>The smell was NOT that BAD but the water was beyond words.
>
>Used a wet dry vac to pull the water out, cleaned the screen that protected
>the pump, flushed some clean water thru the sump and used a brush to break
>free the big chunks, and closed it all back up...
>
>So, what does this list say... How often should I do this?
>
>Lee
>Cesme

Our black water sumps are holding tanks - we pump out when necessary
but don't scrub or anything.  I don't understand why your shower water
goes into a black water sump.  We have a separate grey water sump.

Our grey water sump is a square oil water separator box in the bilge
with an automatic pump in it. (Bob fabricated this box)  All the
shower and sink water goes into this box and is automatically pumped
out when the water reaches a set level.  The oil water separator
ensures that oil from the bilge is not pumped out with the soapy
water.

We carry 400 gallons of water and when there is just the two of us we
sometimes have to shock the tanks.  Normally we do this in the spring.
When we do that, the Clorox water all goes into the bilge and sump and
cleans it out.  Other than that, we don't need to clean the bilge
area.