As always, Ben, you come through with the correct cold logic! (LOL!!!)

I realize it's probably totally impractical and for myself, I'd stick a
check valve onto the line 6" downstream from the outflow outlet on the pump
and call it a day.

But coming up with a practical innovative low cost run dry pump with enough
pressure to 'clear' the line to the thru-hull would be an interesting
intillectual exercise for a "garage tinkerer".

I'm one of those always looking for a completely dry (and sparkling clean -
I'm talking eat off it clean) bilge.  Haven’t found the boat that could meet
that criteria yet.  And I'm not going to spend the $$ to find a boat "built
around" that kind of a bilge!

I'll go back to looking for the Holy Grail with the rest of the Monty Python
crew....

Steve Weinstein
S/V CAPTIVA
1997 Hunter 376, Hull #376
Sailing out of Oyster Bay, NY

All outgoing mail protected by VIPRE A/V