From: lng-odp [mailto:lng-odp-boun...@lists.linaro.org] On Behalf Of Bill
Fischofer
Sent: Saturday, May 14, 2016 1:55 AM
To: Brian Brooks <brian.bro...@linaro.org>
Cc: lng-odp <lng-odp@lists.linaro.org>
Subject: Re: [lng-odp] lng-odp mailman settings

On Friday, May 13, 2016, Brian Brooks
<brian.bro...@linaro.org<mailto:brian.bro...@linaro.org>> wrote:
On 05/13 10:07:44, Bill Fischofer wrote:
> I don't think we need to impose those sort of restrictions. I personally
> use sylpheed for patches and GMail for everything else and they have no
> problem sorting things out.
>
> The ODP mailing list covers both discussions as well as patches, and HTML
> is useful for the former. The onus should be on those who have problems
> with this to upgrade their tools rather than sending everyone else back to
> the 1980s.
>
> On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 9:57 AM, Mike Holmes
> <mike.hol...@linaro.org<javascript:;>> wrote:
>
> > All,
> >
> > A topic that comes up occasionally that affects some mail tools like
> > outlook is that html email on this list makes it harder for some folks to
> > process patches.
> >
> > I use mutt specifically to avoid using a fancy email client for all my
> > patch download/send work, it is powered by coal/steam and would work fine
> > on a 1970 VAX but there you go.
> >
> > Anyway, does anyone object to having mailman reject HTML mail ? One up
> > side is that I will not waste time blocking offers of cheap watches and fax
> > services from the list :)
> >
> > On the other hand I will miss bullet lists and the color red when I am
> > grumpy.
> >
> > Mike

+1 for plain text

I think this topic is more about simplicity and best practices rather than
anything else.

Here is an example of why HTML doesn't work well with archives:
https://lists.linaro.org/pipermail/lng-odp/2016-May/023134.html
That link displays perfectly fine for me.  What problem do you see?

Did you read it? It’s a mixture of paragraphs from two writers, without any
indication who is writing what. The list archive drops out HTML decoration and
at least in some cases will not convert (various blue or grey lines, or
indentations) into ‘>’.

As Brian highlights, it’s about simplicity. With one rule (no HTML) we can
uniform output of all mail clients and their fonts/indentations/other settings,
so that the list is clean and clear to read (both directly and from the
archives) and reply (no need to struggle with mismatching styles inherited from
the senders HTML settings, etc).

+1 for plain text

-Petri