+1 for mandatory plain text. HTML mail is for newsletters, but as soon as you try to reply to a section of someone else's mail, it breaks down to chaos. My observation is that mail clients tend to handle it differently, and screwing up each other (and their users) in the process. And setting font color for each responses doesn't scale well, it's just a band-aid. (and kid themed band-aids could be actually pretty cool, so it's worse than band-aid) If we could enforce everyone using the same mail client, HTML would work, but that's not the case here.