On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 11:46 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>wrote:

> What are contemplating changing in log4j-api?

I'm knee deep in some other project ATM and cannot think of anything in
log4j-api, but in the guts, maybe for appenders and layouts.

I'll see the light of day in a few days...

Gary

Ralph

On Jan 3, 2014, at 8:28 AM, Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 11:26 AM, Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm not sure what policy WRT binary and source compatibility we have in
> log4j 1 and 2. Over in Commons, if you break BC, in general, that means a
> package name change and a Maven name change, for example from
> o.a.commons.lang to lang3. This is using the Clirr report to check for
> errors. There are exceptions of course, usually if a public API changes but
> it is considered part of the implementation and not what a call site should
> use.

I forgot to mention, in Log4j, we have a more stringent requirement since
there are users of log4j and implementors of appenders. So some of the
log4j guts are necessarily public to allow Appender implementations to be
written.

Gary