On Friday, June 3, 2016 at 4:42:51 PM UTC+9, Philippe Marschall wrote:

> On Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 7:13:09 PM UTC+2, Remko Popma wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> First, my thanks to the many people who gave helpful advice and feedback
>> on how to measure Log4j response time on this list some time ago.
>>
>> We're about to start the Log4j 2.6 release.
>> If anyone is interested, a preview of the garbage-free logging manual
>> page is here:
>> http://home.apache.org/~rpopma/log4j/2.6/manual/garbagefree.html
>> and a preview of the updated performance page is here:
>> http://home.apache.org/~rpopma/log4j/2.6/performance.html
>>

> Forgive me my ignorance. Maybe I'm missing something or misunderstanding
> something. If I want to a custom domain object like this
>
> LOG.info("something happened with {}", aDomainObject);
>
> then #toString() will be called on that object which very likely will
> result in allocation. If I don't want this my domain object has to
> implement CharSequence. I image this to be quite though to do without
> allocation eg. how can I know the value of #charAt(10)? I would have to
> "render" the entire object without allocation for every #charAt call.
>
> What I would really need is an alternative to #toString() that takes an
> Appendable. Ideally that would be a JDK interface.
>
> public interface Loggable {
>
>   void logTo(Appendable log);
>
> }

Philippe, I completely agree. The only thing is that no such interface
exists in the JDK, so Log4j 2.6 includes a custom interface:

package org.apache.logging.log4j.util;
public interface StringBuilderFormattable {
    /**
     * Writes a text representation of this object into the specified {@code
StringBuilder},
     * ideally without allocating temporary objects.

     *
     * @param buffer the StringBuilder to write into
     */
    void formatTo(StringBuilder buffer);
}

We chose StringBuilder because the Appendable API is not rich enough.
Any Object that is logged, either standalone or as a parameter, if it does
not implement CharSequence then Log4j 2.6 will check if it implements
StringBuilderFormattable before calling toString() on it.

I hope this is useful.

Kind regards, Remko