although this is somewhat off-topic:
there exists one protocol that allows email messages to be sent: SMTP
(actually, enhanced SMTP (ESTMP) is most common now) as defined in
rfc0821.
every client that sends emails uses SMTP, and all mail servers
delivering messages to other servers use this protocol as well.
emails can be received by POP (rfc1725) or IMAP (rfc1730) which
differ mainly in where the messages are stored:
a pop server stores messages until the client downloads them.
managing the mails (putting them into folders and the like) is done
at the client. imap servers on the other hand provide such functions
directly on the server, and mails are not deleted after downloading
them.

note that POP and IMAP are protocols used for getting mails _from_ a
server, while SMTP is used for getting mails _to_ a server.

so, basically, if a ms exchange server has SMTP access turned off, it
will not be able to receive any internet email, nor will it be able
to send any internet email.

but i'd agree to the assumption that if you try to use SMTPappender
on a mail server that has SMTP-access disabled, you're out of luck.
;)

greetings,

rick

|-
| peter riegersperger  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
|-
| subnet
| platform for media art and experimental technologies
|-
| http://www.subnet.at/
|-
| muehlbacherhofweg 5 // 5020 salzburg // austria
|-
| fon/fax +43/662/842 897
|-