Hi Ceki,

     I am using the pre compiled versions from the Jakarta download
binaries site for all of the libraries.   After my .war files unwars
the log4j-1.2.8.jar is in my lib directory with all the other jars,
suns j2ee.jar (1.3.1), jboss-j2ee.jar (3.0.4), exc.  Also I mention
that I have two j2ee.jar implementations in my path because it wasn't
working without the sun j2ee.jar since that is necessary for the
log4j stuff and I am connecting to a jboss 3.0.4 server to get my
data
objects.

Thanks for responding!
Scott

> - Are you compiling log4j yourself using JBulder?
>
> - Do you have older versions of log4j lying around?
>
> At 02:57 PM 9/12/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>    I am trying to get log4j to work in the following environment;
>>tomcat 4.1.27 log4j 1.2.8 struts 1.1
>>
>>I have been able to get it working through invoking tomcat through
>> JBuilder.  However when I run it with the startup.bat file I get a
>> weird error. I have a log4j.xml file that works fine in my swing
>> applet, and the JBuilder tomcat arena, logs messages , prints to the
>> console nothing fancy.
>>
>><?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
>><!DOCTYPE log4j:configuration SYSTEM "log4j.dtd">
>>
>><log4j:configuration xmlns:log4j="http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/";>
>>   <appender name="X" class="org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender">
>>     <layout class="org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout">
>>       <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%d{hh:mm:ss} %c %M %t %p
>>line
>>%L -%m%n"/>
>>     </layout>
>>   </appender>
>>   <logger name="com.adligo.systems.ae.ui.http" additivity="false">
>>     <level value="DEBUG"/>
>>     <appender-ref ref="X"/>
>>   </logger>
>>   <root>
>>     <priority value="WARN"/>
>>     <appender-ref ref="X" />
>>   </root>
>></log4j:configuration>
>>
>>When I use this same file with struts and log4j, I am able to get the
>> file to load ok, I verified this with some System.out.printlns. The
>> code also correctly checks and finds the debug levels when calling;
>> logger.isDebugEnabled() or logger.isInfoEnabled()
>>
>>However the code crashes when I try to call;
>>logger.debug("foo") or logger.info("foo") at
>>com.adligo.systems.ae.ui.http.LoginAction.execute(LoginAction.java:34)
>>
>>The following is the whole error.
>>
>>java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
>>org.apache.log4j.spi.LoggingEvent.getLevel()Lorg/apache/log4j/Level;
>>         at
>>org.apache.log4j.AppenderSkeleton.doAppend(AppenderSkeleton.java:206)
>> at
>> org.apache.log4j.helpers.AppenderAttachableImpl.appendLoopOnAppenders(AppenderAttachableImpl.java:57)
>>         at org.apache.log4j.Category.callAppenders(Category.java:190)
>> at org.apache.log4j.Category.forcedLog(Category.java:375) at
>> org.apache.log4j.Category.debug(Category.java:244)
>>         at
>>com.adligo.systems.ae.ui.http.LoginAction.execute(LoginAction.java:34)
>> at
>>org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processActionPerform(RequestProcessor.java:484)
>>         at
>>org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process(RequestProcessor.java:274)
>>         at
>>org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:1482)
>> at
> [...]

Scott Morgan
President Adligo Inc.
Ph:  773-758-8735