I'm still unable to comprehend why you have jboss-specific jars in Tomcat???

Also, the only thing that needs to go in the common/endorsed directory is the XML parser. "endorsed" means that it overrides existing libraries in the JDK. Only the xerces jar needs to go in common/endorsed because it contains endorsed libraries such as org.xml.*, javax.xml.*, and org.w3c.dom.*. Make sure to remove xmlParserAPIs.jar and xercesImpl.jar if you put xerces-1.4.4.jar there.

Any other jars that are needed can go in either common/lib or shared/lib. shared/lib makes libraries available to apps, but not the container itself. common/lib is available to both the container and apps. If the container doesn't need to see it, you probably shouldn't put it there.

Make sure another version of Log4j.jar wasn't added to JAVA_HOME/lib/ext or something like that. The obvious problem is that another version of the log4j library is somewhere on the classpath. It could be incorporated in any of the jars you have such as the jboss jars. Make sure they don't have org.apache.log4j.* in them.

Oh.... there could be one other thing. Since Tomcat-4.1.27 contains commons-logging in common/lib, you might need to move log4j.jar to common/lib and remove log4j.jar and commons-logging.jar from WEB-INF/lib. If this was the problem, it would be the fault of commons-logging, not log4j. It uses some funky class loading gimmicks that mess a lot of things up.

Jake