If xyz and abc are different web apps then moving log4j.jar and
log4j.xml from common to WEB-INF/lib should keep the logs separate.
If they are in the same web app then they probably have different
logger name roots so you can configure each to use a different
appender. (i.e com.abc uses one appender and com.xyz uses another
appender).