No I meant my thing might need to run on older platforms. E.g. I might want to run it on shell hosts or general cheap places, or interest other people in running it.

People are sometimes... idiosynchratic. I had (and have) a Debian based shell host that ran Java 1.5 after which they got rid of Java altogether. When I was looking for these things it was really a rare occasion that any did offer Java. I've had a friend I asked to run a Java program I'd written and he wouldn't do it because he thought it would compromise his machine (being Java).

Silly stuff but you can't choose for other people... I wonder how it is going to work out ;-).

Regards.