On 1/9/08, komfo,amonan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> {ndj} {mz} and {kv} cannot be reliably distinguished aurally from {nj} {mbz}
> and {kf}/{gv}. I believe that's why those clusters shake out like that.

If this was based on some serious study reflecting human speech
recognition capabilities, those restrictions would be easier to
swallow, but since they seem to be based on the arbitrary impressions
of someone or other, they are really a pain.

I can accept the {kv} restriction as part of the general proscription
of unvoiced-voiced pairs. At least it's a general enough principle.

The eventual confusion of {mz} with {mbz} cannot really be the issue
because {mbz} cannot appear in lujvo. Isn't {mt} just as likely to be
confused with {mpt}, for example? Why single out {mz}? (The best
theory I heard about this one is that it was introduced so that JCB,
James Cook Brown, would not have an easy time lojbanizing his
name.)

Are ndj/nj really more easily confused than rdj/rj or ldj/lj? Are there
any studies that show that? I wouldn't be surprized if even "s" and "f"
are more easily confused than "ndj" and "nj".

mu'o mi'e xorxes