On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, you wrote:

> > The most effective debugging tool is still careful thought, coupled with
> > judiciously placed print statements. -Kernighan, 1978
> >
> Still my debugger of choice for most languages, my code is littered with
> commented debug print statements.

well .. yes .. and no ;)) ...

Brian was right a in '78 and still is.  As yet there is no replacement
for careful thought .. I doubt there ever will be.

around 70% of the time print is all you need. and 100% of the time it is
perfectly possible with nothing else. But debugging tools can be very
very good .. If anyone has used the Borland Turbo Debugger for C / C++
you'll know what I mean . even the old DOS version is just plain
brilliant .. step around code, change registers, place watches on
variables, set conditional break points ... I really wish I had a similar
tool for Perl .. and although perl -d is great its not as good as
something like Borland TurboDebugger.

Whether I actually need it is a different question .. if its much too
hard with a print statement then that probably tells you something about
the code :) ..

[I should add something about caller(1) is your freind too ]

--
Robin Szemeti

The box said "requires windows 95 or better"
So I installed Linux!