>From listening to the conversation about debugging tools, it seems to me
that the perspective of the list might be skewed. Print statements are great
when you're debugging your own code or even someone else's code on small
projects...

But what about those times where you are handed a folder full of files and
told either "we need this compiled!" or "find the memory leak!". Both of
these happen to me quite regularly. (And I do realize that this is in a
C/C++ context, but it could apply to Perl too).

In these situations, an integrated visual debugger is far superior to print
statements. Sure, you could create log files to reflect a sort of call
stack, but all too often you will have to add the code yourself rather than
having the original programmer use debug statements (or such). The same goes
for listing variables. Want to know the value of every data member in a
class? I'd prefer clicking the little plus sign and haveing the node expand
rather than adding a print statement for each member (or set up a loop).

I think an excellent example of a solid, stable, and friendly debugger is
Metrowerk's Codewarrior's debugger. Call stack, view memory, watches,
breakpoints, and the ability to alter which lines of code to run... I can
state from experience that products developed using the Codewarrior Suite
were brought to market faster and more stable than products developed using
Borland TurboDebugger or command line tools.

In conclusion, visual integrated debuggers are the best way to quickly
acquire knowledge of a poorly known program. They give the user faster
access to data and more debugging control.

So, could someone offer more info on the Perl Courses? With a few basic
formalities I could probably get my employer to shell out for it. (ie, don't
make it sound like we'll be discussing Perl over pints).

Just my two cents (which is about 1.4 pence),
Hamlet D'Arcy