On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 10:22:27AM +0100, Jonathan Peterson wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 11:22:34PM +0100, David Cantrell wrote:
> > > Unfortunately, the lovely Italian wine I found in caffs
> > throughout Naples
> > > back in November does not seem to be available over here at all.
> >
> > Why ship the good stuff to the ignorant Brits when they can
> > keep it for
> > themselves? Sounds like pretty good thinking to me.
>
> Which reminds me - when the Brits acquired a taste for lager rather than
> ale, why did we start drinking lager from every country in Europe except
> Germany, who are the only ones to actually make drinkable stuff?

Because we didn't acquire a taste for lager but rather had it shoved down
our throats by marketroids who saw an opportunity to mass-produce fizzy
crap instead of brewing properly.

Anyway, Shurely you're forgetting about the Netherlands, Belgium and the
Czech Republic, all of whom manufacture some fine lagers.

--
David Cantrell | Doesn't Do Lager | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david/

  This is a signature.  There are many like it but this one is mine.

PGP signature