> >I genuinely believe that the
> >public are sick of watching the NHS, education system etc
> >wasting away on a starvation diet and would be willing to pay
> >a bit of extra tax to make sure that their kids can get schooled
> >and that their sick can be healed.
>
> When have they ever been asked?

During elections. Like I say, in 1997, the UK voted in a party that was (I
reckon) seen as the guardian of the public services, the party that is
traditionally associated

> Money isn't enough. America spends more on education per
> pupil than anywhere else in the world - think that works?

Yeah, but doesn't most of that go on flak jackets for the teachers? Heh,
seriously, though, money may not be enough, but that doesn't translate to
"the education system doesn't need any more money". What's needed is proper
funding, a modicum of professional respect to be handed back to the teaching
profession (there's a *reason* why there's a huge recruitment crisis in
teaching and nursing at the moment), and for successive governments to stop
meddling the system around with pet vanity initiatives designed more to
score political points than improve the system. The amount of work your
average teacher has to do has shot up because of this sort of scheme, but
the amount of time they spend in the classroom actually teaching *has gone
down*.

> Government-run projects don't work, even when they're heavily funded.

That's an awfully sweeping statement to make.

--
matt | I mean to make you move with my planet infallible