On Mon, 14 May 2001, Roger Burton West wrote:
> On or about Mon, May 14, 2001 at 11:04:52AM +0100, Matthew Jones typed:
> >> When have they ever been asked?
> >During elections. Like I say, in 1997, the UK voted in a party that was (I
> >reckon) seen as the guardian of the public services, the party that is
> >traditionally associated
> In 1997 the UK voted against the Conservatives. The policies being offered
> by the parties were close to identical.

This isn't true. The policies being offered were different. However, the
Labour government then decided - having been elected with quite such a
large victory - that it could do what it wanted, so it changed all the
policies to the tory ones...

MBM

--
Matthew Byng-Maddick      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>     +44 20  8980 5714  (Home)
http://colondot.net/                             +44 7956 613942  (Mobile)