> Just because they can't deliver those promises for those costs doesn't
> mean no one else can. If they knew they couldn't deliver within those
> cost constraints why did they lie and say they could?

Because they are (right-wing) politicians. Just look at the absurd
promisises Hague's lot are making now and they're also talking about doing
it with even *less* money (UKP 8 billion, isn't it?) Besides, they have
(more or less) kept most of the promises they made. I was talking about my
disappointment that they didn't go further by raising tax revenue.

The tories are going to have low tax and pay for improved public services
through "cracking down on benefit fraud", apparently. Gah, if only someone
had thought of that before. 'Cos you can solve a long-term underfunding
problem by skinting out a few dodgy crusties.

> .. and if they
> didn't reallise they couldn't deliver at those prices, then it doesn;t
> say much for their grasp of economics.

See my point about Hague's promises above. What does that manifesto say
about the conservative grasp of economics? For all their faults, New Labour
do seem to be far better at running the economy than the Conservaticve
party.

> does anyone happen to have one of those little plastic credit
> card things they were giving out before the last election with
> 10 things 'let us be judged on these:' ..

Yeah, and I saw a breakdown along those very lines on Channel 4 news, which
conluded that although some of it has slipped, the vast majority was
achieved. However, later they ran a piece that I thought was familiar
because it had been a Guardian editorial, so perhaps C4 news may have a
certain slant going.

--
matt | I mean to make you move with my planet infallible