On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 01:16:01AM +0100, Mark Fowler wrote:
> [2] Of course firewalls don't help you in the end if you start exposing
> services.  Which is kinda what you have to do with boxen like
> london.pm.org if they're going to be useful...oh well.

Yeeesss.. but it can be mitigated drastically by having an extremely
easy to use patch system.

# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade

Many of the apps on london.pm.org were old-ish & didn't seem to be being
upgraded all that often (there is benefit to not fixing something that
ain't broke for sure) -- when people's time is volunteered any time
saving measure is really useful. I dunno how Red Hat deals with this
but I don't think it's as easy as Debian's. Anyone know one way or the
other? How shit *is* Red Hat these days? Is it less abysmal than it
used to be?

Debian++

Paul