On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 11:03:03AM +0100, David Cantrell wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 10:34:48AM +0100, Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 06:29:05PM -0700, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> > > Debian++
> > Debian-- # all the bloody politics
>
> So assuming you're going to stick with a Linux system, what's the
> alternative?
>
> As a user you can quite happily ignore the politics.

Agreed, in fact I was entirely unaware of them 'til MBM just mentioned
that. (Of course, now I'm curious and will soap-fan-like scour boards
for moaning & bitching..)

FWIW, I run about half a dozen debian woody & potato boxes and I've
never seen a problem that hasn't been corrected by running apt-get
install a couple of times.

Is dpkg getting active development? Regardless of its correctness, its
interface *is* horrid and that is going to hinder Debian & its
acceptance until it is corrected. My ongoing frustration trying to show
people how good Debian is is constantly undermine as soon as dselect
comes up. People just shouldn't have to do with that level of
interface evilness.

IMO,
Paul